Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day 9: flourless fried chicken tenders pg 102

This the chickpea flour I bought
I've discovered a new favorite gluten free flour.



 Chickpea flour! It's great! I haven't done much with it so far, but what I have has been great! Sometimes it's called garbanzo flour and you can buy it in the specialty flour section of your supermarket (maybe) or I bought mine at an Indian market right by my house for 3 bucks a 2lb bag! and they had a 4 lb bad for like 5 bucks! Pretty good for gluten free, I'd say. You can also sometimes find it in italian markets.





Flourless fried Chicken Tenders  pg 102 (serves 4)




1 1/2 cups of chickpea flour.
1 1/2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning ( I used Mrs Dash's  garlic & herb seasoning blend... Not necessarily Italian, but good!)
 1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/8 ground red pepper
3/4 cup plus 2 to 4 tbsp water
oil for frying
1 lb chicken tenders cut in half if large

Curry dipping sauce
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp curry powder

1. Sift the amazing chickpea flour into a medium bowl. Stir in Italian seasoning, salt, black pepper,  and red pepper. Gradually whisk in 3/4 cup water to make smooth batter. whisk in additional water by the tablespoons if you need it ( I needed about 3 extra tablespoons). You want the consistency to be kind of like heavy whipping cream.

2. While you do all that, have oil heating up in  a large heavy skillet or dutch oven. You want the bottom to have about 3/4 inch of oil. heat it on medium high (more medium than high if you want your chicken tenders to be golden brown not brown brown) heat it until when you drop batter in the oil, it sizzles.
3. pat dry your chicken pieces. dip into batter with tongs and let the excess batter drip off.



 Ease the chicken gently into the hot oil. fry for about 2 to three minutes per side until slightly browned and chicken is cooked through (quick note on that: I was worried that the chicken wasn't going to cook through and it was going to be pink, but fear not, it wasn't! cooked nice a juicy.) Make sure you fry in batches and not crowd all you chicken in the pan. Give them puppies some space!

4. drain the chicken tenders on paper towels. Serve them warm with the curry mayo dipping sauce.


To make the curry mayo sauce-

combine all three ingredients in a bowl and voila! deliciousness at your fingertips!





These were great! I felt so cultural with this curry mayo dipping sauce. It added such a great little kick to these. I felt like I was in India. It probably helped that I had just came from an Indian market complete with the Indian smells and music. But still! These were so great!  The sauce was great but if you're picky or dairy free, I'm sure that ketchup ( or some stolen Chick-Fil-A sauce......).  They are fried so they don't get a billion healthy points but they do get 9 out 10 yummy stars!

2 comments:

  1. So excited to see a recipe for chickpea flour! I have some sitting in my freezer, and had no idea what to do with it. (Not sure why I bought it, it just seemed like a good idea at the time...)

    So, do you have any more great ideas on what to do with chickpea flour??

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a couple of days I'm going to post a recipe for this chickpea flatbread type of thing.. SO good! i made them today, we all gobbled it up!

    ReplyDelete