Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Day 7: Sweet potato gnocchi pg 68

Sweet potatoes- yummm
gnocchi- yummmm

Those where the two things I thought about when i was planning for this recipe. What could go wrong???







Sweet potato Gnocchi pg 68

1  1/2 lbs sweet potatoes (2 or three medium)
1/4 c sweet rice flour plus TONS more for rolling ( I used regualr white rice flour)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp sugar
2 to 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 lb spinach, stemmed
1. Preheat your oven to 375 F. Poke the sweet potatoes with a fork all over the place. Have fun with it. release any vent up anger( don't have too much fun because of else your family is going to think you are crazy and call the nut house and tell them to come and get you) bake for about an hour ( i baked mine for about an hour and 15 mins, mine were a bit big though) take off all the skins and mash the potatoes very well. Remove any stringy pieces if you find any. You should have about 2 1/2 cup of mashed sweet potato.


2 combine the sweet potato, rice flour, lemon juice, salt xanthan gum, nutmeg, pepper and sugar in a medium bowl. mix well.
3. HEAVILY flour a work surface. work in small batches a little smaller than the size of your fist,

 scoop unto surface and roll into a rope around 1/2 inch thick. Make sure your hands are floured.

Cut into 3/4 inch pieces.  Shape the pieces into an oval. Make little ridges with a fork.
 put them on a cookie sheet (foil lined would be good, I didn't do that but should have) freeze the gnocchi for at least 30 minutes. You can freeze it for up to 24 hours.
4. heat one tbsp oil in large nonstick skillet. Add frozen gnocchi in batches and cook,


 turn them once until lightly browned. and warmed through. Add more oil whenever you need to prevent from sticking.
5. Add olive oil to coat bottom of skillet. Add spinach; cook and stir for 30 seconds or just until barely wilted.


So I had never made gnocchi's before and I'm quite sure that my gnocchi skills need refining. Personally I though that the recipe needed a bit more flour and less lemon. It was sweet and lemony so I almost felt like I was eating a key lime pie. Key lime pie is good, but when i want a meal I want a meal not dessert!
 My suggestions:
Use 1/2 tsp of lemon juice
use double the rice flour.

These babies take a lot of time and are a decent amount of work to make. From start to finish I would say anywhere from 3-4 hours, depending how long you freeze them. I would say that without any adjustments, they aren't worth all the work. Now, changing a couple of things they could be a different story.

Next time I'm gonna also try to boil them instead of frying. I'm not a big fan of frying things. I give this recipe a 5.5 yummy points of of 10. With some improvement this could be wayyy higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment