Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Day 4: Mushroom and onion egg bake, pg 38

Oh vacation :)
It's been wonderful, and since it's pouring cats and dogs right now I decided to post day 4.

Mushroom and onion egg bake Pg 38 (serves 6)

1 tbsp veggie oil
4 oz sliced mushrooms
4 green onions, chopped
1 cup of cottage cheese
6 eggs
 1 cup sour cream




2 tbsp gluten free All purpose flour blend ( if you'd rather not bother making this blend, I bet you could probably use cornstarch, but I haven't made it that way, so you tell me how it turns out)
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
dash of hot pepper sauce (if you'd like, I didn't use it.)

1. Preheat your oven to 350 F. Grease a shallow 1-quart baking dish.
2. In a medium sized skillet, heat oil over a medium heat. Cook the mushrooms and onions for about 5 minutes until they are nice and tender.
3. Place the cottage cheese in a food processor ( I used a blender ). Pulse the cottage cheese until smooth. Add eggs, sour cream, flour blend, salt, black pepper and hot sauce ( if desired); pulse until combined.



Pour into the prepared baking dish, stir in the mushrooms and onions. Bake about 40 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.

The finished product



This recipe is a bit deceptive in the name. You think that it's gonna be an eggy tasting dish, but in reality it tastes more like ricotta cheese, although it doesn't have any ricotta cheese. It's kind of a light dish, a bit brunchy. I personally am not a huge fan of super ricotta tasting things, so  I thought it was alright. A friend tried it though and she really liked it. So if you like a strong cheese taste in a meal, maybe you'd really enjoy this recipe. Personally I give this 5 yummy stars out of ten. My friend probably gave it 8. So it's your choice. :)

2 comments:

  1. How did it taste?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was alright, it wasn't my type of thing, but my friend loved it!

    ReplyDelete