Monday, May 30, 2011

Day 3: gluten free Breakfast pizza, pg 32

Hope your family is enjoying your memorial day festivities :)


I'm in the keys for a couple of days enjoying the company of some good friends and the sun, something I've missed dearly from being in college up north. I think we might go skiing tomorrow, and I hope I don't break something :o

Well anyway, all that to explain why day 3 is a day late. Sorry! but here it is. Pizza, of the breakfast persuasion.

Breakfast Pizza, pg 32, serves 2



2 c refrigerated or frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed ( I used organic, it wasn't any more expensive than the other kind, and less junk in it.)
1/2 c finely chopped onion
1/4 c tomato paste
2 tbsp water
1/2 tspn dried oregano
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 c (2 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tbsp bacon bits ( I used turkey bacon)


1. First off, combine your potatoes and onion in a medium bowl.
2. Then slightly spray a medium sized nonstick (yes, make it nonstick, hash browns and non nonstick pans are NOT FUN) skillet with cooking spray.  Add potato mixture, flatten it with a wide spatula. cook 7 to 9 minutes per side until both sides are lightly browned. ( I discovered from making this that I am not the greatest at making hash browns :( I just can't flip them without making them all fall apart. I need some more hash brown lessons...)
3. Mix tomato paster and water in a small bowl, spread it evenly over the potatoes in the skillet. sprinkle oregano over it.
4. Pour eggs over potatoes. I would maybe not pour all of the eggs on there. I felt like it was too much. like probably 2/3 of the eggs. Just make a good judgment when pouring them. you need to COVER it and cook for 4 minutes. Make sure that your flame is not too high, because of else the bottom of the hash browns will burn.  Sprinkle the cheese and bacon bits over the egg ( I also added a bit of leftover meatloaf from the day before, crumbled). Cover and cook for one minute. Remove promptly.
5. Slice your pieces into pizza wedges. Enjoy!

Besides my poor hash brown making skills, this was pretty good. don't put too much sauce on the hash browns because it tastes too tomato-ee. I would probably count this like a brunch-ee kind of meal. I'm going to work on my hash brown making skills and make this again sometime.

I give this 7 yummy stars out of 10.


Anyone have any hash brown making tips? :-)

1 comment:

  1. if only it was dairy free, too! :-) Sorry, no advice on hash browns....but wondering if you could have put them in a pie dish and baked it?

    ReplyDelete